Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Where Do the Days Go?

The days pass by so quickly, and I often feel like we haven't even done all that much. Part of that is probably due to the reflux issues. At the suggestion of our pediatrician, we are trying to keep Norah upright for 30 minutes after she eats, which just makes the feeding process all that much longer. It is one thing on the weekends when Seth is here and can take over with "holding upright" duty, but during the week it is all me. So if I start feeding Norah at 1PM, it usually takes close to 45 minutes to an hour, including sleepy breaks and diaper changes. Add on the 30 minutes of holding her upright, and by that time we only have another hour and a half until the next feeding.

I'm sure that sounds like a long time (it does even to me as I type it), but somehow it just isn't much. The "free" time after the first morning feeding is spent getting myself ready for the day (I am making a huge effort to not still be in my pjs at 2:00 in the afternoon). Then after the next feeding I am often eating lunch. That leaves the time after the afternoon feedings to get the house in order, start laundry, empty the dishwasher, etc. And that takes us into early evening already. See what I mean?

I should clarify that this isn't something that is bothering me. My only real task at this point is taking care of Norah, so it works out just fine. I enjoy every minute I get with her, even if it means I don't accomplish much else in a day. And holding her upright really is a pretty good gig. She loves to lay on our chest with her feet tucked under her body, which is extremely cuddly. I love that time that we have together.

No comments: