It is officially "Back to Work" week and I am trying to enjoy every second that I have with Norah, while also getting a few last minute things done. Once Norah wakes up from her nap we are going into the daycare to ask a few questions and make sure I know the drill. I go back on Wednesday, but Norah will not be going to daycare until Monday. Seth is staying with her on Wednesday and Friday, and my mom on Thursday. My sister, among other people, recommended doing this instead of starting right away with both work and daycare.
At this point I have thought so much about this time coming that I am just ready to get on with it. The good news is that I feel ready to be back at work; it's taking Norah to daycare that will be hard. Many nights after feeding her I have remained awake in bed thinking about the moment I will have to walk away from her that first day. (Oh no, here come the tears.) I do realize that after an adjustment period it will get easier, but it will be tough to be away from her so much after spending all of this time with her for 3 months.
I am so happy with my decision to take a full 12 weeks off. I would not have been ready after just 6 weeks, and the additional time has allowed me to get to know Norah that much better. During the second 6 weeks she moved out of her newborn stage and became an infant with a developing personality. I saw her first smile, and heard her first coos. And one of the biggest benefits for me has been the additional time breastfeeding, which has truly strengthened our bond. I was a proponent of breastfeeding before having my own child, but now I am really an advocate. The additional time has allowed me to feel her little hand roam around my chest that much more. I have watched her stop sucking, look into my eyes, and smile at me that many more times. I have put her on my chest after feeding, kissed her head and cuddled with her that many more times. I wouldn't trade those moments for anything. And remembering them will be good motivation to continue pumping consistently at work to maintain a good milk supply so that I can continue breastfeeding.
Tomorrow, my last day, will be spent with my sister, nephews and mom. I figure this is the best possible way to end my maternity leave.
So, here we go. It is the moment I have been waiting for. Wish us luck!
2 comments:
Reading this brought tears to my eyes. I am so with you on the benefits of the extra time with our girls, and I thought you captured the difference of how they are now verses at six weeks very poignantly. I'm determined that those moments aren't going to go away either. They will just be that much more precious.
Yay! SO great to see more photos and read some about what these past weeks have been like for you. No doubt the upcoming adjustment will be difficult and emotional..(Norah will probably be stronger about it at first than you and Seth put together, eh? :) You're in my thoughts. Peace.
Post a Comment