Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Norah's First Road Trip

We're headed to San Antonio this morning. I have to go for work, and somehow I managed to talk Seth into taking two vacation days so he and Norah could come with me. (I think most of it was the fact that otherwise he would be a single dad for two days.) Either way, I was pleased that he decided to be the corporate husband.

The weather is supposed to be nice, so Seth and Norah should be able to enjoy some time together on the riverwalk. I will be in a meeting today from 2-7, so I am hoping I will be able to slip out once to feed Norah. Tomorrow is a conference where we will have a booth set up, so since the technical sessions will be way over my head I will be able to slip in and out of the exhibition.

On the daycare front, we have decided to make the change. It just makes too much sense. Although I am not looking forward to starting over, I think it will be much smoother the second time around. There are certain things I know I will talk with them about up front, and even though it is a different daycare I feel I know the drill a bit more and will be more adament about some things from the beginning.

One of the things I am particularly excited about is that I feel the new daycare has a much more structured curriculum, even for this age. They post a chart outside of the room that states which skills they are working on developing for each child that week and what they are doing to develop them. They try to give each child some one-on-one time every day. When I visited, I noticed that in each of the 3 infant rooms there was at least one teacher that was on the floor with the kids. I hadn't thought of it before, but it made me realize that I rarely saw that at our current daycare.

So anyway, maybe I am just trying to find things like this to make me feel better about the switch - to make it more about Norah and not just about me - but either way I think it is the right thing to do. Besides Norah really doesn't like traffic, so she'll be happier about a shorter commute as well.

P.S. Still 14 on the waiting list at the place we really love that is close to our house...

No comments: