Thursday, June 4, 2009

Breastfeeding Recovery

Okay, so it happened again - minimal sleep, changes in Norah's habits, a few signs that something wasn't right on the supply front, plus just a tendency to be a wee dramatic at times led to my thinking that my production was decreasing. This time, I really did think it might be a permanent thing. I'm sure Seth would say, "I told you so," because every time I tell him I think I'm having production issues he says, "Are you sure? You've felt like this before and it ends up okay." And every time I say, "No, I'm pretty sure this time."

Anyway, I really didn't want it to be the end, as you know if you read my previous entry on the topic. I got in contact with my doctor, who is a certified lactation consultant, and a huge proponent of breastfeeding. I gave her a basic description of what was happening and the first thing she said was, "I'm not convinced you're having supply issues." She gave me a key piece of information, which I think at least partially explains the issue.

Evidently a span of 6-8 hours without feeding or pumping alters hormonal levels that help to maintain lactation. Who knew? In all the reading I've done I never came across that important nugget of information. Norah started sleeping through the night about a month and a half ago, and I, eager for normal nights of sleep, did not replace pumping with that feeding. In hindsight, obviously that is what I should have done.

So, after enjoying a regular sleep schedule for a month and a half I am back to setting the alarm for between 2 and 3:00AM for a date with my pump. My new schedule is as follows:

7AM feed Norah
10AM pump
1PM pump
3PM pump
6PM feed Norah
9PM pump
2-3AM pump

My main issue with this scheduld (besides the 2AM alarm setting) is the ration of feeding to pumping. It's just not right! As I said to my friend Lisa recently, I live for weekends, holidays and vacations.

At any rate, I am happy to have yet even more knowledge on breastfeeding, hopefully just the infomation I need to keep it going. My goal is to continue for a year. I plan for October 15th, Norah's birthday, to be my last day taking that stinkin' pump to work. On Ocotber 16th, I will hold a small ceremony with a few close friends at work to tear my sticky note that reads, "Please do not disturb" into tiny little shreds.

One thing I learned through this is just how strongly I feel about breastfeeding, and how badly I want to make it at least a year. I think that is part of the reason I was so emotional about it when I thought my produciton was decreasing for good. I'm just not ready to be done.

No comments: