I haven't really blogged about some of our recent struggles at daycare, so I guess I'll start with the background before getting into the changes the are going to take place.
A few weeks ago they changed Norah's room to an older age (roughly 6-12 months, but more based on mobility). About the same time, a handful of new kids started and were all put into Norah's class. It just so happens that a couple of them are criers. I found it increasingly difficult to drop Norah off in the morning because several kids were always crying. I couldn't wait to get out of the environment myself, yet I had to leave Norah there. I dreaded it every day and left in tears more mornings than not. My game plan last week (the second week after the change) was to drop in at other times of the day to see what the environment was like. I've done that several times, including today, and every time kids are crying. The teachers even commented that they cry all day.
I had also noticed that Norah's main teacher seemed to be frustrated (who wouldn't be in that environment?) and she wasn't always handling the situation in ways that I felt were appropriate, even with me in the room. She also told me one day that she preferred the newborns, which I thought was a little inappropriate considering Norah is in her room , which was no longer a newborn room. (Not exactly what a parent wants to hear.) As I sat there today over lunch feeding Norah, listening to the crying I decided something had to be done. We are paying way too much money for Norah to be in that environment all day long.
I caught the Director on the way out and was quickly in tears. I told her I wasn't comfortable with the environment and that I felt the teacher was becoming worn down or frustrated. She immediately said they would take care of it by moving Norah to another room. We discussed a few options and when I went back tonight they had made a decision. Norah will be at my sister's tomorrow, but on Wednesday she will be all set up in her new room.
The people pleaser, conflict avoider side of me (which can get me into trouble sometimes) feels sort of bad for her current teacher. I think she really does just have some tough babies right now. But at the same time I know it is her responsibity to realize when she is getting overwhelmed and needs help. And another thing - none of that is my problem. My only concern is Norah and that I feel good about the environment in which I am leaving her for 9 hours every day.
So, on Wednesday she will start in classroom B. It just so happens that one of the teachers she started with is in this room, so that will be nice. One thing I am relieved about is that I still feel good about the daycare overall. And, I think they have delt with my situation well so far. I just think they happen to have some tough kids right now, and they all seem to be in Norah's room.
Sigh. My sister warned me that they had completely underestimated the ongoing stress involved with daycare/school. I see what she means. Just when you feel comfortable things change. New kids, a new teacher, a new director - whatever. Hopefully our new room will be better.
1 comment:
I hope tomorrow goes better and am proud of you for sticking up for Norah. And let's be grateful again for content baby girls!
Post a Comment