Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Parent's Influence

Being a parent changes a lot in a person's life. I know it has in mine. I have always worked to be a good person in the world, though I suppose I have been a bit more conscious about it in my later years. And now, as a parent, I find myself really thinking about the type of person I want to be, particularly because I know I will have a major influence on Norah and the type of person she becomes. I find myself being more conscious about how I relate to Seth, how I act in different situations, how I communicate, the things I say, and the things I do. Her presence in my life has caused me to make changes in some of these areas. I'm sure there is more to come, but I am thankful she has come along and helped me to be a better person.

I have also thought about the things that I did not grow up with, but are so much a part of our lives that they will seem completely normal to Norah. The technology advancements are obvious, but that's not what I'm thinking about. We have an African American President, for example. Hopefully Obama will still be in office when she is 8 so she will be old enough to remember. We'll teach her the significance, but at the same time it will be something she is used to. I am also happy to know that Norah will grow up thinking it is normal to put plastics, aluminum and cardboard into a green bin that gets put out by the road every other week for pick up. She will grow up understanding the importance of collecting glass and taking it to the recycling center once a month. These are just a few examples.

So I think this is both the joy and pressure of parenting. We get to influence their lives...but we influence their lives. Lucikly, much of what I want for Norah is in line with the values that both my parents and Seth's instilled in us. It's just part of who we are, which makes it somewhat natural for us now. At least that is what I am counting on...

No comments: