Saturday, December 19, 2009

Health Update

So it turns out Norah has an ear infection. The pediatrician prescribed amoxicillan, gave her the H1N1 vaccination and we hoped we were on our way to good health. Later that night Norah broke out in a red blotchy rash all over her body. I thought I might have noticed some redness prior to giving her the first dose of amoxicillan, but unfortunately we didn't examine her very closely so we don't really know the cause of the rash.

After another trip back into the pediatrician, they suggested we consider her allergic to penicillin since we don't know for sure, and eventually get her tested. They prescribed a different Rx for the ear infection and suggested Benadryl for the rash. Just 30 minutes after receiving her first dose of Benadryl the rash was considerably better.

Luckily, Norah has never appeared to be affected by any of this. Her usual happy personality remains and she continues to make us laugh.

I also continue to be amazed at how much she is comprehending these days. As she nursed yesterday morning I was telling her that she was going to go with daddy to meet Mimi so she could spend the day at the lake with Mimi and Papa. At the mention of their names, she locked eyes with me for a second, then cranked her head around to look at the bulletin board where we have pictures of them. We occasionally look at the pictures and point out the people in them, but not on a regular basis by any means.

Norah had her first overnight with Mimi and Papa last night. It is very strange not to have her at the house, but I am so happy she is able to be with them. We're headed up soon as well for our family Christmas, and I am looking forward to everyone being together to celebrate the holidays.

No comments: