Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Bedtime Routine

Norah has always been what I would consider a pretty good nighttime sleeper, but lately I felt she wasn't going down quite as well (as consistently) as she had been. It was so minor I really don't know what prompted me, but I did a bit of reading and decided we should try adding a few things to the bedtime routine. I felt the routine had been lacking a little ever since we stopped nursing, and "What to Expect in the Toddler Years" had some recommendations I thought were worth trying.

Up until late last week, we generally did the following:

- eat dinner
- bath (these first two sometimes swapped)
- pjs
- brush teeth

From here it got a little fuzzy. Depending on the time we sometimes even brought Norah back upstairs for a few minutes. Or, if we were a bit behind we would turn on her music and stick her in her crib. I have mentioned before we are struggling a bit with the whole reading thing, so that was always hit or miss.

Our new routine consists of the following (and we are more consistent and strict about it):

- dinner
- bath
- pjs
- brush teeth
- story time (which sometimes also includes playing with toys, but we try to focus on books as much as possible)
- find snuggly
- tell everyone goodnight (family and friends on Norah's bulletin board, then TJ and Luka in a framed picture, then Brandy (dog in framed picture))
- turn on the music
- turn off the light
- cuddle time

We really make a point to talk a lot about the routine, and what is coming next. Another one of the recommendations I read is that you really try to distinguish between night and day by doing things like saying, "Goodnight. We'll see you in the morning," and changing out of pjs right after they wake up. I hope we don't have to do that forever (who doesn't love lounging in pjs in the morning?), but we'll try it for now.

I have to say, I am amazed at the difference and it started the very first night we changed things up. I think the biggest factor may be how much we are talking about the routine and preparing Norah for what is coming. She just flat out seems more ready for bed when we get to that point. I have noticed that right after we say goodnight to Brandy (always the last stop on the "Goodnight" train), she puts her head on our shoulder. And the best part is that she is content to stay that way for a while. We are absolutely loving that cuddle time, especially since Norah is such a mover she typically doesn't stop much to cuddle.

A few nights ago I decided to even try...brace yourself...sitting in the rocker to see if she would go for it. In the past she has tried to get down as soon as we sit, but now, even for naps, she is content to cuddle and rock as long as we want as she continues to wind down and get ready to go to sleep. I'm loving it!

So let's recap: since starting the new routine we have less tantrum-like behavior, less crying herself to sleep, and more cuddle time. Umm, yeah - I think we'll continue with what we've been doing.

As for a weekend update, I would say we accomplished the ever important mix of productivity and play time. The Civic went in for a 120,000 mile check up (and it should be noted they found no extra work that needed to be done), I joined my sister and friends for her birthday celebration Saturday night while Seth and Norah had some father-daughter time, we worked out this morning while Norah went to Kid's Club, we cooked for the week, and we bundled up and spent some time outside.

I also pulled out a rocking chair I played with as a kid that I forgot we had in the garage. As you can see below, Norah liked it. In fact, she spent a good amount of time playing on it, including standing on it which we attempted to put a halt to.

So, we worked, we played, and we prepared for the week. What more can we ask for?





No comments: