Saturday, May 1, 2010

New Favorite Recipe: Chicken Nuggets

I have been trying to get Norah to eat more chicken and discovered something today that she loves: chicken nuggets. No, I do not mean the McDonald variety, I mean homemade flax seed/wheat germ baked chicken nuggets. Here is a recipe I loosely followed. (I did not do the veggie puree part because Norah gets plenty of veggies, but I may try it sometime.)

Deceptively Delicious Chicken Nuggets (with Veggie Puree)

1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (I only used a little more than half and substituted wheat germ for the rest)
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1 T grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 cup broccoli, spinach, sweet potato or beet puree
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 lb chicken breast or tenders, cut into small chunks
1/2 tsp salt (I omitted this)

Mix the dry ingredients. Mix the veggie puree and egg. Sprinkle chicken with salt, dip into egg/veggie mixture and then coat with dry mixture.

From here the recipe says to fry them on the skillet but I baked them at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes and they turned out great.

No comments: