It has been so great to be able to get grocery shopping done on my Fridays off, but lately has become more difficult. A small snack used to keep Norah pretty occupied, but she now requests it as soon as she is in the cart and has it done before I'm out of the produce. She keeps saying, "Walk. Out. Walk. Out." I have let her out the past few times (which I would never attempt on a busier weekend day), and and loves to push the cart. But she doesn't like to stop when I need to pick up an item. She continues pushing. I ask her to stop. She doesn't stop. I remind her she isn't listening and tell her if she does it again she will have to get back in the cart. She does it again. I put her back in the cart and she cries the rest of the time. Sigh.
Yesterday, as we were parking, I told her we were at the store and she said, "Walk, walk, walk!" I knew I was in trouble since she was requesting it before I even finished parking the car.
So I did it. I offered the enormous race car cart. And we got a balloon. And it worked.
She remembered her snack about halfway through and that took her right to the end. She only asked to get out once, which was as we were heading to checkout.
Now the question is when the novelty of the race car cart will wear off, and what will I try next? I think it may be solo grocery shopping from there on out.

1 comment:
We would never ever make it through a shopping trip without balloons and the racing car helps with room for two. It's worked for a long time for us. :)
Post a Comment