When I was putting Norah to bed tonight I started talking about her birthday. I asked her how old she is going to be and she said, "Twoooooo!" I think her teachers have been telling her that, because when I asked her for the first time a week or so ago she knew the answer.
Anyway, I was explaining to her that we would be celebrating and started listing off everyone who was going to be here:
Me: Luka is going to come to help you celebrate.
Norah: La-la!!!!! (big smile.) Tee-yay!!! (smile continues). An-Lii! (Aunt Li.) Tot! (Scott.)
Me: Yep - they're coming, too. And Tyce.
Norah: (huge smile) Tyce!!! Lala and Day? (Lisa and Dave)
Me: Uh-huh, Lisa and Dave will come too. And Sarah. And Jessica.
Norah: (more smiling) Sarah. Jessica. (She actually says their names pretty clearly.)
Me: It will be so much fun. And Connor is coming.
Norah: Connorrrrrrrrr!
Me: Yep, and Maya, and her little sister Yana.
Norah: Mayaaaa!!!!
Me: That's right - everyone is going to come to help you celebrate your birthday.
There were a few moments of silence (never more than a few), and I very innocently told her we would sit in the chair for a few more minutes and then it was time to get in bed.
She looked at me quite seriously, and slowly, very slowly, her bottom lip started coming out and she got the saddest little look on her face. Before I could figure it out she said, "La-la??"
My bad! You have no sense of time and you thought I meant everyone was coming TONIGHT! Oops.
The next person she sadly asked about was, "Day??"
I tried explaining, in any way I could possibly think to, that they weren't coming tonight, but in a few days. I felt terrible. And she never really got over it. She cried off and on, and there was frequently a, "La-laaaaa" mixed in with the tears.
On another note, she has really continued to develop on the verbal front. She is putting more and more "sentences" together like:
"I no like it pasta."
"Mommy hep-ooo shoe school." (She means mommy will help me with my shoe when we get to school.)
"Daddy apple work" (Daddy is taking an apple to work.)
A few that really make us laugh every time are:
"Daddy tum." (Daddy come.) It is typically accompanied with a wave of the hand.
"Roar top." (Telling her lion to stop.) Especially funny since it can only do what she makes it do.
The other thing we have noticed is that she says, "Mm-hmm" for yes sometimes, which is pretty cute from a 2 year old. I'm sure it comes from my attempts to vary my responses the one million times a day she demands one for something she is saying.
No comments:
Post a Comment