Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I think we need some sleep

We had a few very rough nights with Norah, and hope tonight was the start of the turnaround. We feel strongly that it is due to a build up of a lack of sleep. With festivities up North both days this weekend, Norah did not get her normal nap on either day. Add to that the time change, and the result for us was a child in near hysterics - screaming, crying, head on the floor - for three nights.

Sunday she fell into a deep sleep on the way home after not napping at all and playing very hard with her cousins. The meltdown began soon after she woke up when we got home. We physically struggled (both of us) to get her PJs on, then ignored her fit for the next 10-15 minutes. It didn't stop. I finally ended up taking her outside and for some reason that calmed her down. She ate a small dinner outside and went through the rest of the nighttime routine just fine, but was obviously tired.

Monday she was okay until mommy went "bye-bye" and daddy finished the routine. Seth had a hard time getting her settled down, and had to leave her crying in bed. He went in a while later since she wasn't calming down, and the first thing she said when he walked in was, "Poopie diaper." So he changed her diaper and put her back in bed. We didn't hear a peep after that, but by that time it was close to 8PM.

Last night she broke down at something very insignificant (I can't even really remember what) and we couldn't get her back under control. Going outside didn't even work this time. So I put her in bed, knowing I would have to go back in a few minutes later and that she would then be ready to calm down. I made sure the side of her crib was up before I left. I shut her door and found Seth so we could have the "what in the heck is her problem?" conversation. Meanwhile, crazy screaming continues. Then she starts yelling, "Open door, open door!" As I made my way down the hall I got the feeling she was right on the other side of the door. Sure enough, I opened the it and there she was, standing right in front of me. She had somehow managed to get out of her crib! We are hoping it was pure adrenaline and that she has already forgotten it happened.

As I suspected she was then ready to finish the normal nighttime routine. We went through it without any problems and didn't hear anything once I put her down and left the room.

I addition to these rough nights she has been getting up a little earlier than usual (probably due to the time change) and not taking a full two-hour nap at school. (Hence our conclusion that her behavior is 100% a sleep issue.)

We took a pretty casual approach to the time change this year (which is typical of our style), and it just happened to be bad timing with the weekend schedule. I guess we are paying for it now.

I'm sure we'll get back on track in another few days.

Here is a picture from the weekend. Norah wouldn't smile for anything (not even Mimi who was carefully chosen for "make Norah smile duty"), but I thought I would include it anyway since it has been a while for a picture of the three of us.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

After a lot of recent sleep issues, you might want to check and see if she has any molars coming in back there. I'm jumping on the bandwagon of 2-year-molars are major deal. Sarah's are finally in and she's like a different kid. Jessica's are coming in now and it isn't so pleasant. Norah has always teethed better than S&J, but it is still worth checking. Pain makes you grumpy too.