Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pregnancy Update: 34 weeks, 5 days

I saw my doctor again on Monday and luckily nothing has progressed. She is still amazed at how low the baby is, and her comment this time was, "I will be really surprised if you make it to 37 weeks."

Eh? I thought 40 weeks was generally the goal.

She repeated her comment a few other times throughout the visit. Since the contractions are still relatively infrequent (they would start to worry if I was having several in an hour), and I only occasionally associate them with being up and around, she did not recommend bed rest. She just really wants me to take it easy.

Over the weekend I came down with a head cold, which has really affected my sleep the past two nights, and just dragged me down in general. I am trying to shorten days at work when I can, and choose at least one day a week to work at home.

Different scenarios and "what if" situations have started to consume more of my thoughts, particularly throughout the night. It is definitely a different situation with a toddler. I think most about what we'll do with Norah if I go into labor at various times of day or night. Then my mind wonders to having a baby in the NICU and, again, care for Norah should that happen. I know my mom will hop on a plane as quickly as possible, but the struggle for me is not being able to plan it all out.

And I know I can't, and I try to tell myself that, but it doesn't seem to relieve the anxiety. I guess I'll be working on that.

Plus, maybe my doctor is wrong. Maybe I'll be able to make it longer than she thinks. She is out of town next Tuesday through Thursday, and I am not scheduled to see her again until next Friday. Hopefully I don't go into labor before then, at which point I will be 36 weeks.



No comments: