Stats at 3 days old:
7 lbs. (27th percentile)
20 in. (66th percentile)
To sum up our first week, I really don't think we could have asked for it to go any better.
My mom came in late Monday night and she has been an awesome distraction for Norah and a huge help around the house. It took all of us a few days to get into a routine, and get all set up around the house to accommodate both mom and the newest member of our household. We are in a good rhythm now, though I'm sure we will continue to make adjustments.
So far Macy has been an awesome baby. We have barely heard her cry, but maybe all newborns are like this since basically all they do is eat and sleep.
Eating. To my great relief Macy appears to be a fantastic eater. I was a little nervous since I struggled with Norah for about 6 weeks, but at this point I feel really good about how Macy is doing. I had a few rough days after my milk came in on Tuesday (lets just say supply and demand was a bit off), but my body adjusted to her needs within a few days and all is well now. I have no pain and can simply enjoy the experience. I did sort of forget how frequently they eat at this point. Seems like every time I turn around that's what I'm doing.
Sleeping. There really isn't much to say at this point since this is what she does 90% of the time. She has had several 5 hour stretches at night, but otherwise wakes up to eat roughly every 3 hours. She seems to have more awake time every day.
My mom quickly observed that I am a very different mom this time around. I'm sure that is fairly typical for anyone with a second, but I also think in our case the there are some differences that are contributing to the change. Norah was 3 weeks early and weighed only 6.3 lbs., while Macy was 2 weeks and 2 days early and weighed 7.7 lbs.
The pediatrician was watching Norah's weight closely, and due to her size and the fact that I was having nursing challenges we were a bit uptight about it as well. I had many miserable nights with Norah, setting my alarm to feed her every 3 hours, trying to wake a teeny, tiny, sleepy baby to nurse and cause me pain. I'm not sure how I would be this time around if the situation was the same, but luckily it's not and I am able to be much more relaxed overall. I haven't set an alarm one time and don't plan to. It feels really good.
Big sister Norah is doing very well with Macy. She loves to give her kisses and hugs, "soothe" her, give her blankets and help us change her diaper. We of course have to keep careful watch to make sure she is being gentle. She wouldn't hurt Macy intentionally, but can be a bit clumsy. We also realized she is giving Macy big hugs like we give her, so are trying to teach her that Macy needs to have more gentle hugs.
We have noticed a bit of an attitude starting with Norah, and have no idea whether it is related to Macy or would have come on anyway. We are trying to do what we can to nip it in the bud right away, which includes situations like what happened the other day: I was nursing Macy and verbally disciplining Norah. She wasn't listening, got the warning, and still wouldn't listen. Knowing that I couldn't let it slip, I got up, carried Norah back to her room by one arm, and put her in a timeout, all while continuing to nurse.
Norah is very attached to my mom. If my mom is here, she has a little shadow. Norah can hardly even let her take a shower in peace - she often sprawls out on the floor, yelling underneath the door, "Mimi, are you done yet?"
Generally this is a good thing, as we knew having my mom here would be a much needed distraction for Norah. But we also realize that we need to be conscious that Seth and I are getting individual time with Norah. Otherwise it feels like I am doing a lot of disciplining, but not much beyond that. I try to take time to do an activity with Norah whenever I can, but I will also plan some things for us to do together while mom stays with Macy. Yesterday Seth took Norah on an outing to play at an indoor playground and pick out a snuggly "Nana" for Macy.
Mom went to Lisa's today, so it's just been me and Macy Girl. I don't know where the time has gone (a few errands, laundry, blogging and picking up around the house, I guess), but we'll leave in about an hour to go get Norah already.
Time to feed Macy again!






2 comments:
Norah suddenly looks so grown up! Especially in the last picture. All beautiful pictures, beautiful girls!
Hi Angie!
Glad to hear everything is going so well with the new little one! Rosie often forwards me your and Lisa's updates, but I thought I'd leave you a message directly to say congrats on the little one.
Hope to meet her soon!
Amanda
Post a Comment