Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Whole New World

I am having an entirely different experience with Macy than I did with Norah, and most of it stems from the fact that she is such a good eater. Thank goodness! 

I think I forgot how much time and energy I spent trying to figure out the nursing situation with Norah. I went to many La Leche League meetings, including one about 45 minutes away (that's how desperate I was), and several lactation consultant appointments. I know I got some good tips, but ultimately I think we just needed time to get it figured out. I remember a turning point coming around 5 to 6 weeks, when I was finally able to nurse pain free. 

But Macy has been a rock star eater since the first time she tried. A lactation consultant in the hospital gave us both rave reviews when she watched us get started. Besides the normal adjustments that my body had to go through, I have been without any pain at all, which is especially huge considering how much time is spent nursing a newborn.

What it means is that the time I spent trying to figure out the nursing situation the first time around can be spent enjoying Macy and Norah instead. How awesome is that?!

Two other things have contributed to things feeling very different this time around. The first is that my mom is here. I've mentioned before (and I'll probably mention again) how great it is to have her here as as distraction for Norah. The second is just the fact that Macy is our second, so we are comfortable with the basics of caring for a newborn. 

Everything continues to go really well. I think we're all in a groove with mom here, we have meals coming in every other day from the moms group in our neighborhood, Norah seems to have adjusted well to Macy, and so far Macy has just been easy. 

I'm sure our challenges will come, but for now I'm going to enjoy what we have. 










DSC_0499_2.JPG.jpg

No comments: