While Norah is still a bit of a Mommy's girl, but we have come a long, long way. Even before Macy was born she was much better and wasn't having occasional breakdowns when Seth tried to do something with her (like brushing teeth). But she still insisted on me putting her to bed. We let this happen, just because of all of the other night time challenges we were having with her. We figured we would tackle it once we were past the other issues.
Time passed and we got into a good night time rhythm. But it was still all me. Seth was able to brush teeth and get her dressed, but I pretty much had to do the rest, and I most definitely had to be the one to lay in bed with her. Note that she was completely fine with Seth doing everything if I wasn't there.
The week before Thanksgiving I decided it was time for things to change. It's not like she was going to wake up one morning and suddenly decide she was ready for Daddy to put her to bed. It had become a matter of routine for her.
So we decided to start alternating nights the week of Thanksgiving while we were on vacation. Seth's first night wasn't pretty. She screamed "I want Mommy" over and over and over again. Somehow he managed to get her to sleep.
Seth's second night went a better, but was still a bit challenging. We didn't give in, and she eventually went to sleep.
The third night was perfect, and it has been fine ever since.
I often ask her at dinner whose night it is to put her to bed. For a while she acted as though we were going to Disneyland when she realized it was my night. "Whooo hooo!! It's Mommy's night!!" "Yay!!" These exclamations were typically accompanied by dancing, arm waving and lots of smiling. Poor Seth couldn't help but chuckle as he watched.
But now, thank goodness, it has become nothing more than the new routine. One night it's Daddy, and the next night it is Mommy. No massive celebrations. No protests. It's just how we do it.
Not only is this a huge relief for me, (otherwise I spent a good hour putting both kids down since I always nurse Macy right before bed), but I think it is great that Norah and Seth have their time together. Last night I overheard them deciding what to plant in the garden on Norah's back as part of the back rub we give her most nights.
Norah: "I want to plant soup!"
Seth: "Well, we could plant tomatoes to put IN our soup."
Norah: "Oh, yeaaahhh."
I love that every other night Seth is the one who tucks her into bed. And I look forward for my nights with her as well (most of the time...).
No comments:
Post a Comment