Friday, February 3, 2012

In a Groove

Over the past several weeks when people asked me how the kids are doing I found myself answering, "Great! We're really in a groove."

I am the type of person that is comfortable with a groove. Not that something unexpected can't be fun and comfortable, but generally I like a good groove.

The kids really are doing great. Norah's bedtime madness challenges are gone (slight pause to knock on wood) and she is sleeping well through the night and until 6:15 - 6:30 in the morning. I wouldn't call that sleeping in, but we're generally up by then, even on the weekends (me, at least), so I don't mind the early wake up time. She is usually in bed by 7:45-8:00 and still takes a two hour nap pretty consistently. If her behavior is any indication, she is getting enough sleep.

And her behavior really has been good. Once we got past the rough patch just after her third birthday, we've been fine. I know some people would describe us as pretty hard core when they hear stories about how we handle her, but I am convinced that is why she is doing well. She likes boundaries and when she decides to test them every now and then she needs a stern reminder of what those boundaries are and who is in control.

I mentioned to my mom the other day that one of the worst things for me as a parent is feeling like I am not in control. I felt that at times during the aforementioned "rough patch," and I didn't' like it. At all.

So with her behavior in check, Norah is a pretty fun kid. She is really into pretend play (which will be the topic of a separate blog entry, assuming I can get to it sometime soon), and we frequently find ourselves in pretty funny pretend situations. Like the other night when Seth and I were sitting on the floor, leaning up against the couch "riding in the car" with Macy (who was in bed and only represented by her jacket) and Norah (who was driving). At one point we both had our knees up to our chest and were told we needed to straighten out our legs. Then we weren't sitting close enough so Seth scooted right up next to me and there we sat.

I suddenly lost it. I was laughing so hard that the tears started coming. Oh how our lives and evening activities change with kids.

On to Macy.

What a kid! Precious is one of the best words I can think of to describe her. She. Is. Just. Precious. She doesn't just smile - she could be the definition of "smiling from ear to ear." She continues to have such a pleasant disposition. If that kid is fussing she deserves attention.

She is taking on solid food like a pro. Orange, green, warm, cold, morning, afternoon or evening - it just doesn't matter. She'll eat it. All of it. She has literally never turned down one bite.

(Side note - we have also been impressed with Norah's willingness to try new things lately. Tonight she ate spaghetti squash "stuffed" with a chicken/tomato/olive/feta cheese mixture and salad.)

For a while Macy had been in the habit of getting up between 4:00 - 5:30am to eat. Since her bedtime is 6:15 - 6:30 I felt that was a pretty good stretch, but it was not ideal for me. I was finding it increasingly hard to go back to sleep at that time of day. Add to that an upcoming work trip to Europe for me where Seth (and probably mom for a night or two) will be on duty, and we decided to try and eliminate that feeding.

We started last Friday night. There have been two mornings she woke up at that time of day and cried for an hour before falling back asleep. There have been a few that she work up around 5:45 or 6 and played/fussed until we got her up at 6:30. And a few that she just slept until around 6:30. But generally it has been fine and the trend is positive.

I am aware at how different we are at implementing the "cry it out" method with Macy then we were with Norah. With Norah we went in occasionally to sooth, just like they recommend. Macy, on the other hand, we let go for up to an hour with no interaction whatsoever.

So I guess this blog entry is what happens when I go so long in between. I hope to get back into a groove with my entries as much as we are in a groove with life.

Because it really does feel comfortable.

No comments: