When Macy turned one I stopped pumping at work. The timing was great - I had a three-day off-site meeting the following week and was SO happy not to have to drag another bag along, figure out where to pump, and sneak out of the meetings multiple times a day.
I made a few significant changes to the routine when Macy turned 10 months, including not setting my alarm to get up in the middle of the night anymore, and pumping twice a day at work instead of three times. But before that I religiously pumped five times a day. It seemed like I had more all-day meetings and trips than I did when I was pumping for Norah, including Aberdeen and Milan. (I will not look back on pumping in the airplane bathroom fondly - it made pumping in a normal bathroom look good.) Luckily my milk supply was strong, so pouring all that milk down the sink during those trips was more tolerable.
It is really nice not to have to carefully plan my work day, slipping out of meetings to fit in three pumping sessions a day. And it is great not to have to carry four bags into work anymore.
I stored, labeled, and froze who knows how much milk - enough to provide a continuous supply for Macy and at least a month extra. We're still working through the freezer supply for school days, so I'm not sure exactly how long it will last.
But we aren't totally done. As with Norah we are nursing before bed and first thing in the morning. And on the weekends we still nurse before naps. I'm not sure how long that will last, though - I have noticed it is taking longer for my milk to come in, and Macy seems to be getting impatient. And truthfully, I am ready for the same freeing feeling on the weekends that I now have at work. It would be great not to have to plan my day around her naps.
I feel a big sense of accomplishment for being able to nurse both girls for a full year. I know of enough people who have had breastfeeding challenges to know that the ability to do so should not be taken for granted. And though it was not always easy (and often a serious inconvenience), I am happy it worked out for us.
Yes, I will be sad when we are completely done. Very sad. But I am thankful that it worked out for this long and will embrace the next chapter.

No comments:
Post a Comment