Monday, January 12, 2009

It's Finally Over

Well, it's over. It's finally over. Today was our first day of daycare. Overall it was fine, but wow - this is going to be an adjustment.

I have to start with our night to give the full story. After very consistently sleeping for 6-8 hour stretches, Norah decided that last night (of all nights) she needed to get up every 3 hours to eat. Literally. So I got maybe 7 hours total, and no more than 2 1/2 at a time.

The morning felt a little rushed, but we got out the door at 7:50. I honestly can't remember what time I got to the daycare because I was trying so hard to focus on NPR to get my mind off of what I was actually doing. I know I got to work at 8:40, which actually surprised me.

We were told they were going to be opening a second infant room, but evidently that didn't happen. I was somewhat relieved, however, because Norah's teacher looks younger than me (which is a bit disappointing seeing as how one of the things we liked about this particular daycare is the experienced teachers in the infant room). Right now there are 3-4 teachers in the room at any given point tag teaming all of the infants (maybe 8 total?), so it doesn't matter all that much anyway who her particular teacher is. We'll see what happens when they actually open the second room.

I made my time at the daycare as quick as possible, handed Norah off, and got out of there because I knew it was going ot be so hard. I cried most of the way to work, and am crying again now just thinking about it. Thank goodness she goes to my sister's tomorrow.

I was definitely more distracted today than last week when she was with Seth and my mom. I called around noon and they told me she had slept and was eating (not sure what else I expected). I left my office at 4:45 and we didn't get home until 6. I didn't even spend much time at the daycare - most of the time came from traffic. Norah cried most of the way home, and I thought it might be because she was still a little hungry (unfortunately they were just finishing a feeding when I arrived), but I think she was also really tired. They only noted a one hour nap, but I wonder if they forgot to write others down. I can't imagine that is all she slept all day. Unfortunately I didn't notice that while I was there to ask.

We got home at 6:00, played a little, and ate a little. She was fussy enough that I figured she was tired, so I started her bath at about 6:30. Seth came home during her bath, so he then finished her up, but she was uncharacteristically fussy during the process. I tried to feed her, but she wouldn't eat - she was plain tired. So we took her downstairs, bundled her up and calmed her down enough that she ate while Seth read a few stories. She was in bed by 7 and we haven't heard a peep since. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we have a better night tonight!

So, I have seen my daughter for less then 2 hours today (not including drive time), and Seth even less. This hardly seems doable, but I also know we need to give it some time and see how things work out. To be quite honest, this was one of the toughest days I've had in a very long time.
On a lighter note, our new SLR digital camera came in the mail today, so you should be seeing some more pictures soon.

And speaking of pictures, here are a few random ones.

Norah in her tight pants and Uggs:


Norah in her big girl crib:

Reading to Norah:

Norah's old man hair and flat head:




1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh, Angie, what a rough day. I'm sure it will get better, but sometimes being a working mom is just plain crummy. I'm assuming you talked with them about her naps this morning, so let me know what they said when you have a chance. I'm sure she'll rest better there after she adjusts a little bit, which will make for better evenings too.