Well we made it through the first full week of daycare, and I'm glad it is over. I feel like we became more efficient as the week went on, and I'm sure that will continue. The biggest time zapper at this point is traffic in all directions between home the daycare and work. The area in which my office and daycare happen to be located is simply jam packed during rush hour, and there is really no getting around it.
The good news is that I am feeling pretty good about the daycare. Each time I went in and had conversations with Norah's teachers I felt better. She is definitely not sleeping as much there (still only a few hours a day), but each day she slept a bit more. The teachers said they often see that with new babies since it is such a different sleep environment than they are used to. At home, Norah had been napping all swaddled up, in her crib, with the blinds closed. The daycare is brighter with much more noise and overall stimulation. So, I am hoping that the more she gets used to it the more she will sleep. We are wondering if she is making up for it with us - she slept 11 hours last night (from 7:30 to 6:30), took an hour nap this morning and has now been in bed for over 3 hours. To be honest I miss her and would like her to get up! We have a rule in our house, though - never wake a sleeping baby.
The young teacher I mentioned in an earlier entry hasn't even been in Norah's classroom most of the week, so I'm not sure what is going on there. They said they will let me know before any changes are made, and I'm happy with her current teachers so I am okay with it. One of them referred to Norah as "Norah sweetie" on Friday, and that's just the sort of stuff I like to hear. It seems they are quickly getting to know her and becoming attached.
Besides the traffic one of the more stressful things for me right now is trying to make sure I am pumping enough each day to keep up with what Norah is eating so we don't have to dip into freezer supplies. I knew pumping at work would be a committment, but wow. She eats around 16 ounces at daycare, so that is what I am trying to come up with each day. As much of a pain as it is, I am totally committed to continuing because I really believe in all of the benefits of breastmilk. And besides that, I really look forward to our feeding sessions and I don't want to do anything to affect my supply and potentially lead to her weaning earlier than she would otherwise.
I think the mix of Norah going to my sister's one day a week, and me working from home one day a week is going to be nice. My day at home is on a trial period with my manager, however, so I'm not sure how long that might last. Even if that goes away, having her with family one day a week will be awesome. Evidently a few hours after she left last week Luka pointed out a wet spot to my sister and when she asked him what happened he said, "Norah did it." Glad we're providing him someone to blame things on now! :)
So the first week was really hard, there is no denying it, but at least I am feeling like it is doable. The traffic situation isn't great, but it is what it is for now.
Norah hit 3 months this past week, and she seems to be getting bigger and changing every day. Right now we are watching her lay on her stomach, perched up on her elbows. She holds her head up quite high and for a good amount of time. As it gets heavy she slowly drops it, and eventually just lays it down. You can tell she is working hard at keeping it up. She also talks up a storm. I'll try to post some photos soon. We have our new camera, and finally had a chance to get it set up and start using it.
Okay - off to enjoy some family time!
No comments:
Post a Comment