Overall Norah seems to be a very content baby, and we are extremely thankful for that. I would also say that while she isn't a huge napper, she has generally done a good job during the nights. Since I have been back to work, she really has only been getting up once a night, with the exception of when she was sick.
Several times in the past three to four weeks, however, she seemed to have rough evenings. We would go through the typical routine - bath, eat/read, swaddle, bed - and she seemed to be out cold when we put her down. But then about 30 minutes later she would start crying. The questioning began and I made what I know think was a rookie mistake - I assumed 0she was hungry and fed her again. This was often repeated two more times until she was out for the night.
Finally this past Tuesday I decided I didn't think it was right and that we should try letting her cry a while and see what happens. She cried for about 30 minutes and then was out until her feeding around 2AM. We even resisted putting her pacifier in, really wanting to see if she could calm herself down and fall asleep on her own. Wednesday she woke up crying after being down for a little, but we let her cry again. This time it was probably even less than 30 minutes and she down until her feeding. Thursday and Friday nights she went right down and stayed down.
I don't know if you can call two nights sleep training, but I am hoping that maybe we at least caught it early enough that she won't develop bad habits. And I'm not saying that I think those two nights of letting her cry were it and we're good to go from here on out, but at least we have done it and know that it works. No more playing us, Norah - we're on to you!
1 comment:
I think you are heading off at the pass what sent me, Sarah and Jessica down a very rocky road. I made the rookie mistake full blown and went with it until it blew up in my face. I think things would have been a lot easier this last week of sleep training and the last two months for that matter, if I'd recognized the situation for what it was. Hang tough and really 30 minutes a couple nights here and there aren't too bad. Good luck!
Post a Comment