So here we are at 6 months and we find ourselves still adjusting to the routine with a little one. I'll give you an example.
The setting: Saturday morning, 9:45AM. Seth had just returned from a 9 mile run, and I had been up with Norah since 7, tending to her, doing laundry, and generally just picking up around the house. Norah had just gone done for a nap when Seth came back, so I was getting some things done on the computer. I was unshowered, in my pjs, and my hair was in a ponytail (yes, it is long enough to go in a ponytail, but it's definitely not a sight for public consumption). All of a sudden I noticed Seth had put on his lawn shorts.
The conversation:
Angie: Wait, are you going to do the lawn?
Seth: Yeah, I had planned on it.
Angie: Can we talk about our day? There are a number of things I had on my list to get done as well.
Seth: Okay, what's on your list?
Angie: I have to retun books to the library, get my pants hemmed, and pick up pictures at Walgreens. And remember I have a haircut at 12:00.
Seth: Well if you could go to the library right now...
(Revert back to the situation where I described my appearance.) This gave us both a good laugh.
We worked out a schedule...sort of. Seth was going to do the lawn while I got ready. Then I was going to have a few hours to run my errands and get my hair cut. Only...the time came for me to leave to get my hair cut and Seth was still doing the lawn. He wasn't finished picking up the trimmings from the bushes or blowing everything off. So I ended up rushing out to get my hair cut and coming straight back (without making any other stops) so he could finish up. Once he was done I raced out to do my errands, and when I came back both he and Norah were taking naps. I knew he hadn't slept well the night before, and plus he had run 9 miles that morning, so I headed out to get groceries, which we had talked about doing together. Sigh...
In the end we got it all done. However, I did point out to Seth that if we had discussed his plans to run 9 miles and do the lawn, I probably would have gone about my morning differently. I also mentioned that a consideration for future weekends is that the lawn is something that can be done on Sunday, while much of the running around we often have to do has to be done on Saturday when things are open.
I think being on maternity leave for 3 months where every single day revolved around Norah forced me to get into that mindset much earlier. You know, the one where you realize you can't just get up on Saturday morning and go about your day like you did before you had a child to care for.
So, we are still adjusting, and I'm sure we will continue to adjust. We have talked about it along the way, and it has given us some laughs along the way (along with some other discussions I wouldn't consider light and funny), but I think it is all pretty normal and overall we are doing great.
1 comment:
This sounds exactly like Jeff and I tonight. I had just gotten home from the grocery store - a trip I made with S&J - and was feeding them dinner. He came in from working on his boat and announced he was going to go for a swim.
Um... can that wait until after the girls take baths and go to bed?
I guess, but why are you always ordering me around?
We're working on our communication and weekend routines too.
Post a Comment