Monday, May 25, 2009

To Die for Molten Chocolate Cakes

I got this amazing dessert recipe from a neighbor and am pretty sure it is one I'll still be making 30 years from now. It's yummie and easy, which are my two requirements for any recipe.

My neighbor likes to use individual custard cups instead of muffin cups. For company, she makes this a day ahead, refrigerates and pops them in the oven just as they are finishing up dinner. She served them with whipped cream and orange shavings.

6 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsly chopped (I used chips)
6 T (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
4 large egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tarter
2 T sugar

Prehead oven to 400 degrees. Butter and sugar 8 muffin cups (I ended up using more).

Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler or microwave, stirring often until melted and smooth (I just did it in a sauce pan). Remove from heat and sift in cocoa. Stir until smooth.

In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and beat on high until whites are stiff but not dry. Use rubber spatula to fold 1/4 of egg whites into chocolate mixture, then fold in remaining whites.

Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full. Bake until cakes are cracked on the top but still gooey in the center, 7 to 8 minutes (a minute or so longer if batter has been stored in refrigerator). Let sit for 2 to 3 minutes. Cakes will shrink slightly from sides of the pan. Place a rack over the cakes and invert to unmold. Serve hot, accompanied with whipped cream.

No comments: