Monday, August 24, 2009

Ready for Disciplining?

The answer is no. I'm not ready for disciplining. I'm still getting over the fact that I have a child old enough to hold her own bottle. And to pull her own pants off and throw them out of her crib.

(Side note: typically I have a rule that Norah has't officially passed a milestone or done something new until Seth witness it with our own eyes. So for example when her teachers told me she rolled over I didn't believe them until I saw it happen that weekend. And the date that goes in the baby book (when I remember to put it in)? The one on which we witnessed the new feat.)

Back to the point. Yes, apparently she takes her pants off and throw them out of her crib (not yet official). And that is what she chose to do today instead of taking her afternoon nap. "Stripping instead of sleeping," her teachers joked.

Okay, really back to the point. Norah is getting old right before my eyes. So old that we are entering the ever so trecherous world of disciplining.

There isn't much she can get into in our house, but she finds a few things very tempting (over and over again), primarily the stereo equipment and a thermometer that sits on a window sill.

We have started saying, "Eh eh" as she reaches for the off-limits object and it is quite obvious that she knows what it means. Now, when she goes for the thermometer she pulls herself up to the sill and looks back at us before she reaches for it. We give her our best "I'm watching you and you know better" look, and she shoots back a very ornery grin. Sometimes she decides to go for it anyway, and when we say, "Eh eh" again she answers with a high pitched whine: "Eeeehhhhhhh."

Mom (she is here visiting), Seth and I laughed at this over and over this weekend. We'll try to catch it on video so you can see it for yourself.

SUCH a stinker butt. There's just no other way to put it. I better find a good book on disciplining.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You and me both! Although the other day I read that at this age the best way to discipline is really solid baby proofing. And everyday we're rearranging for some new hazzard. I want them to explore, learn how to behave and not destroy anything all at one time. Is that too much to ask?

Anne said...

She is SO her mother's ornery daughter!