We had been, for the most part, nursing morning and night and 1-2 times during the day when we were together (weekends and the holidays). There were enough times that we didn't, for one reason or another, that I was pretty sure my body would adjust just fine if we quit cold turkey. And it did.
I wasn't sure how Norah would react. She seems to adjust well to things in general, but she was also used to nursing before bed and every morning. It's all she knew. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. It was more difficult for me than her. Even though I felt ready to be done overall, there have been times since then that I long to nurse. Of course I know that to do so would only be confusing for Norah, so we haven't.
As I have said many times before, I knew from the beginning that I wanted to nurse for at least a year. Once we reached that point I was playing it by ear. With the struggles we had at the beginning, and stories I have heard first hand from friends, I know that being able to nurse your baby is not something to be taken for granted, and I am very thankful that it worked out for us.
Among the memories of the challenges are others that I will hold dear to my heart. I will always remember the feeling of tiny little Norah in my arms as a newborn. I will always remember her smiling up at me. I will always remember her hand rubbing my chest and face. And I will always cherish the breastfeeding experience that we shared.
No comments:
Post a Comment