Friday, March 12, 2010

Sleep Deprivation of the Infant Days

I had probably the worst night of sleep with Norah last night since she was born. She had a cold last week and then a cough seemed to resurface Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. Otherwise she seemed fine and was actually back to her old self.

Here is a brief recap of our night:

I went down around 9:30 because she had been crying pretty hard for a while (our typical approach is to let her cry herself back to sleep). She quickly reached for me and we sat in the chair. She went pretty crazy when I tried to put her back in her crib, so I made a bed for the two of us on her floor, which was a first. She slept off and on, but I didn't.

At 11PM I put her back in her crib and went to bed. At 1AM Seth woke me up saying she had been crying for a while again. (It made sense for me to deal with it since I didn't have to work today but he did.) We laid on her floor again and she slept off and on while I watched the clock. She just generally seemed uncomfortable. At one point she woke up and started walking around wanting to look at her books, so I brought her up to the recliner. Again, she slept, but I didn't. It was some pretty good cuddle time, but I was tired. At 3AM I put her back in her crib. She cried for 30 minutes while I read my book upstairs. After she quieted down I crawled into bed at 3:30 and slept until almost 7AM. Norah slept until 8AM.

I ended up taking her in today and it turns out she has an ear infection. It is only her second, so I feel pretty fortunate about that. The pediatrician thinks her cold probably turned into the ear infection. She was great at the doctor's office after a 20 minute snooze on the way. We dropped off her Rx, and she crashed when we got home and slept for almost 3 1/2 hours. I was able to nap for about 45 minutes, but I will be going to bed early tonight!

Norah has seemed fine again since her nap, and we haven't heard a peep since Seth put her down. Fingers crossed!

No comments: