I think about this particularly on our rides to and from school. Norah is constantly talking, but seems to need acknowledgement.
"Tuk, tuk, tuk!" (Truck.)
"Yes, truck."
"Lala, lala, lala!" (Water.)
"Yes, Norah. Here is your water."
"Nyak, nyak, nyak!" (Snack.)
"Norah, your snack is all gone, but we're going to eat dinner when we get home. Okay?"
"Yyyyyyeah."
"Choo? Choo? Choo?" (Shoe.)
"Did you throw your shoes over the side?"
"Yyyyyyeah."
"Okay, well I'm sorry but mommy can't reach them."
"Mimi? Mimi? Mimi?"
"Do you miss your Mimi?"
"Yyyyyyeah."
"Mimi? Mimi? Mimi?"
One time I decided to just try ignoring her. This is what I got:
"Mimi? Mimi? MIMI? MIMI? MIMI? MIMI? MIMI!? MIMI!? MIMI!!!? MIMI!!!? MIMI? MIMI!!!!!? MIMI!!!!!!!?"
She got more and more frantic with her "Mimis" and, no lie, repeated it 41 times. Seriously. Say "Mimi" to yourself 10 times right now and think about multiplying that by 4. It's a lot. The good thing is that I was laughing in disbelief as I counted, and after 41 she was all done....
...for 30 seconds, and then I heard:
"Nyak? Nyak? Nyak?"
And we went through everything for the 5th time until we finally reached our driveway.
1 comment:
Just to put it in perspective, Sarah cries for about 50 percent of our drive to and from school. A conversation would be a blessed respite. Although, I can completely sympathize with the need for some quiet too. The Mimi part was HILARIOUS!
Post a Comment