Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Very Close Call

I have made references to Norah's dear friend "Roar" before. She remains quite attached and Roar continues to go everywhere with us.

Friday he went, as usual, on a walk in the jogger. Unfortunately I didn't notice when he fell out in one of the few high-traffic areas on our route. By the time we back to find him he had been run over at least once. Since he is actually a plastic slinky, much of the plastic was broken and he had grown to 4 feet long.

When I presented Norah with Roar he looked at him funny and said, "Roar broke." I responded, "Well, Roar is long now." For the next few hours she carried him around, his body and tail trailing several feet behind her, saying, "Roar long. Roar long."

Several weeks earlier I had looked at our neighborhood Kroger for a replacement (yes, the prized possession came from Kroger), but couldn't find one. During her nap on Friday I decided to go to a different Kroger in the off chance they had some. Jackpot! I bought two.

When I pulled it out for Norah she got a big smile on her face and said, "Ally Roar." (She always remembers that cousin Ally gave it to her.) I don't think she had spent enough time with new "long" Roar to remember what had happened.

Phew - problem averted...

No comments: