This is a recipe I haven't made in a while, but decided to dig it out and try it again. The same thing I remember happening last time happened again, which is that they turned out sort of crumbly. But since they are so incredibly yummy I am willing to work with the recipe to try to fix the problem. The first thing I will try is using more water, and maybe a bit more honey.
Peanut Butter Granola Bars
1/3 c brown sugar or unrefined raw sugar (I used half and they are plenty sweet)
2/3 c crunchy peanut butter
3/4 c honey (I will try more next time to make them less crumbly)
2 T hot water (I will try more next time to make them less crumbly)
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c whole rolled oats
1 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c wheat germ
(I also throw in some ground flax seed for good measure)
1/2 c sunflower seeds or nuts
1 T sesame seeds
1 c chocolate chips (I omitted these)
1/2 c raisins or other dried fruits
1/2 c coconut
Mix sugar, PB, honey, hot water and vanilla until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients (blend together first if you want). Press mixture firmly into lightly greased 9 x 13 pan (I used an 8 x 8 to make them more into squares than flat granola bars). Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut while still warm. (Ah ha! I didn't do this - maybe that would help with the crumbliness?). Cool completely before removing from pan.
No comments:
Post a Comment