Wednesday, April 27, 2011

An Early Lesson

Yesterday on the way to school/work Norah asked, "Mommy, where we going first?"

Me: Where do we usually go first?
Norah: School.
Me: Yep, that's right. We're going to school.
Norah: You drop me off and school and go to store?
Me: Is that what you think I do all day when you are at school - go shopping?
Norah: Yeah, Target!
(Oh, man.)
Me: Okay, let's be clear about this. Mommy doesn't go shopping when you're at school, I go to work.
Norah: Ohhh.
Me: Do you know why I go to work?
Norah: Why you go to work, Mommy?
Me: So you can go to college.
Norah: College?
Me: That's right, college.

In her defense she probably noticed I carried a shopping bag to the car that morning, which is what triggered the shopping thought, but still - I had to at least attempt to set things straight.

Later that night Seth asked Norah why Mommy works and she said, "So I can go to Denver!"

Oops...I think there was a little mixup between two new and unfamiliar words. We'll keep working on the college message.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Yes! So Norah can come to Denver!

Lisa said...

Or maybe she's a step ahead of you and declaring her preferred college destination. I'm betting that's it.