Friday, August 12, 2011

Southern Belle

Norah has started saying "ya'll."

Now, nothing at all against my Texan friends who use "ya'll" as part of everyday language. We have made many dear friends who fall into that category. We don't care that you say it. It doesn't change our feelings about any of you.

But we're from Indiana. We just don't say "ya'll."

We have our own version that many Texans probably find weird: "you guys." My grandma Gunden from Michigan used to say, "you-ins." Everyone has their way of pluralizing "you," and that's fine.

But we're from Indiana, and we just don't say "ya'll."

Try telling that to a 2 1/2 year old whose teachers say it. And try explaining it to her in such a way that wouldn't offend anyone to whom she repeated your reasoning.

We're from Indiana and we just don't say "ya'll." That's what I went with.

The next day on the way to the car after school she said to Seth, "Daddy, sometimes I say ya'll." Seth said, "Didn't Mommy talk with you about that last night?"

"Yes, but I'm just telling you - sometimes I say ya'll."

Ooooo-kay.

We have also noticed she puts an extra syllable into words like "chair" and "hair" and "where." But it doesn't really come out sounding like a southern drawl. It is almost over-emphasized, or harsher than a southern accent:

chay-er

hay-er

whay-er

We try to get her to repeat these words after us--with just one syllable--but it always comes out with a little something extra stuck in the middle.

We'll keep working on that.

On another note, I'm home today with both girls by myself. Since our company/help all left, I have kept Norah out of school a few days, but always when we are going somewhere (up to my sister's or cousin Andrea's). Today is the first time I am here with both of them all day.

We started out the day with a walk in our newly purchased used double jogger (from my sister). We ALL went, including Chilli (still dog-sitting), and Baby Doll.

After a little of this and a little of that for a few hours, I found myself in the following situation:

Standing up nursing Macy while talking to the guy who was out to give me an estimate on new windows, while Norah was asking for milk and then something to eat and then announced she was taking her shoes off and would just leave them on the floor under the table until she was done eating and then she would put them away, while my friend Christine sat patiently on the couch waiting to give me her thoughts on possible paint colors for the living room.

You could say it was a little chaotic for about 30 minutes, and as soon as I closed the door behind the window guy my cell phone rang. If only that would have happened 3 minutes earlier I probably would have fallen on the floor in laughter.

I'm going to get some lunch while both girls are sleeping...

5 comments:

Lisa Gunden said...

Need I remind you that Norah is NOT from Indiana, and she is a Texan?? Too cute...I was ROTFL.

Lisa Gunden said...

I'm going to teach Norah to say, "Mommy, I'm not from Indiana!"

angie said...

Riiiight...still can't believe that we have a little Texan, I guess. Not something I ever imagined growing up in "Indianer!"

Smith Family said...

Love this entry! You inspired me to write a similar one. :-)

Lisa said...

Your Texas friends would like for you to know the appropriate contraction is y'all. As in "you all." Even if it is forbidden it should be spelled correctly. :)