Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Better Balance

Heading into our third weekend with me working, I am hoping to find a better balance between "work" (household chores and preparation for another week) and play.

By noon on Sunday last weekend we were very prepared. We had gotten groceries, cooked meals for our lunches for the week, my car was filled with gas, the laundry was done, veggies were cut for quick and easy access, and the coffee was ground and ready to go.

But that was about all we had done. We hadn't gotten out and done anything as a family. The weather, while cooling off some, is somewhat prohibitive, but still.

Feeling guilty already, when I was laying in bed with Norah later that night she wanted to talk about our day. She said, "We went to the grocery storrrrrre, and that other storrrrrre..."

For the record, we did do other things. And at this point it's still not a big deal to Norah. She loves going to the store. The "other" store she mentioned was a place we went to look for curtains. She was very excited to get her purse ready with her wallet, phone and tissue (she had a runny nose) and head out as a family.


But that just not quite what I want her to remember of her weekends. 

Of course sometimes social plans dictate the balance. This morning sister Lisa and the kids are coming down to hang out for a while. Then at 1:30 we have a birthday party of a friend of Norah's from school. Knowing today was pretty scheduled I took the kids into school yesterday for about four hours so I could run errands and get groceries. We're finally working on fixing up our living room, so tomorrow we'll do some family shopping for that and finish getting ready for another week. 

Feels like a better balance to me...

No comments: