Sunday, September 25, 2011

Macy - 3 Months

Macy turned three months last week. In some ways that time has really flown by quickly, but in other ways I feel like this little girl has been a part of our lives for a long time. I'm glad she is here. And while it is sometimes difficult to think about her growing up and never being a baby again, I generally feel happy to be out of the newborn phase.

At three months old Macy is sleeping around 12 hours a night. With the exception of one night when she got up after 9 1/2 hours (at 5:30am) to eat and go right back to bed, she has been doing this for around a month. Wednesday and Thursday mornings last week we had to wake her up, and on Friday (when I could let her sleep) she slept almost 13 1/2 hours.

Macy is smiling a lot, imitates us when we stick out our tongue, follows people around the room (especially Norah), "talks" quite a bit, and has given us a tiny giggle a few times. Just this weekend she started reaching for objects in front of her. She is very, very content laying on her activity mat and usually only fusses when she is hungry or tired.

She generally goes down very easily for naps and nighttime, swaddled in a miracle blanket and often even without a pacifier. There is really no routine - we just swaddle her up, give her a few kisses, tell her goodnight, and stick her in bed. We have not done pacifier runs in the middle of the night since her first month, and even then it was very minimal compared to what I remember with Norah.

I have still been getting up to pump almost every night. I just decided over the weekend that I'll probably let myself sleep through every 3-4 nights. I am not in desperate need of the milk, and as long as I still get up most nights my supply should remain high enough.

We seem to be in a bit of a rhythm right now, and our work/school-day schedule goes something like this:

- 5-5:30: Seth and Ang wake up to work out (assuming we got a good night of sleep; if not we sleep in until 6:15)

- 6:15: Seth and Ang (if no workout) and shower, etc.

- 6:45: Norah wakes up; undies on (diaper off); brush teeth

- 7:00: breakfast with Norah; pack bags

- 7:15: wake Macy if she isn't already up; Ang feeds Macy; Seth and Norah continue to get ready

- 7:45-8:00: get this family out the door! (8:00 is really too late, but is often when we are leaving)

- 8:30-8:45: everyone to work and school

- 5:15-6:00: school pick up (the time really depends on whether Seth commuted in with us)

- 5:45-6:30: arrive home; get dinner on; baths if we have time/need them (luckily Norah does a good job in the bath with Macy)

- 7:00-8:00: dinner, Macy to bed, Norah to bed (times and order varies). We try to start brushing teeth with Norah at 7:30 so we are walking out of her room by 8:00.

- 8:00-9:00: Seth and Ang clean up from dinner, unpack and repack bags, and head to bed.

Seth and I have commented that we feel surprisingly under control, considering we have a three-month old and I just went back to work two weeks ago. We know there will be bumps along the way, but for now we'll enjoy what we have.

No comments: