Saturday, October 22, 2011

Macy - Four Months

Macy continues to make the addition of a second child a relatively easy transition. I can imagine how much harder it would be with a difficult infant.

She is generally happy and content unless she is tired or hungry. Seth and I always feel bad when she really cries, because it means she actually does need something. We are pretty good at anticipating her needs, but if we were experts we wouldn't know whether she was even able to cry. She loves to spend time watching Norah's movements, and seems to save some of her biggest smiles for her big sister.

Macy has started on her path to mobility. For the past few weeks she has been rolling to her side, occasionally making it all the way to her stomach. Suddenly this week she almost always rolls from back to stomach as soon as we lay her down.

She continues to be a good eater. We recently increased the size of her bottles for school, so she now takes three 5-oz bottles a day. I have a feeling she would eat more, but we'll leave it at this for now. Generally I am so much more relaxed about the milk situation than I was with Norah. I am way more educated and experienced, which definitely helps. And my supply is much better, probably a result of Macy being a better eater. Because of that I have a freezer full of milk, and if anything am continuing to slowly add to it rather than having to use it to supplement what I pump at work. 

After sleeping 12+ hours a night for two months, she has been a bit more inconsistent lately. For about a week she was getting up between 4-5AM to eat, but I still can't complain because that is still at least a 9-hour stretch. Then several nights ago she got up at 2AM and 5AM (uh oh!). Luckily she did not repeat this the next night. Last night she went back to sleeping 12 hours. So like I said, I can't complain. At all. But my only challenge is knowing whether to get up and pump. I try not to go more than 7 hours at a time without pumping/feeding since doing so can impact overall production. I feel like my production has dropped a bit since she started getting up at 4AM because I stopped my 2AM pumping. For now I will take it night by night until she settles back into a regular pattern.

Now lets talk naps. Daytime sleep is a whole different story. She is less than a stellar napper at school. Her all time low was a total of 8 minutes one day. Most days are better than that, but only because 8 minutes is so incredibly crappy. I joke with her teachers when they tell me she did "better" today. Not too difficult to do better than 8 minutes. I continue to tell myself not to worry about it as long as she is sleeping well at night. It's not like I can really do anything about it anyway, so we're just trying to roll with it.

Macy weighs 13 lb, 7 oz, which puts her in the 52nd percentile. (Norah weighed 12 lb 6 oz at 4 months, and their daddy weighed a whopping 16 lb 10 oz!). She is 25 inches long, which is the 82nd percentile.

Our challenges these days are definitely more with our 3-year old than our 4-month old. I suppose it could easily go either way, but I am guessing most people have a similar experience.

I'll save the 3-year old challenges for another day in order to maintain the positive tone of this entry. :)

No comments: