Friday, December 30, 2011

Macy - 6 Months



Dear Macy,
This note may have been slightly different if I had done it on the day you actually turned 6 months old. In the 11 days since then we have been to Goshen and back for the holidays and you weren't quite the incredibly easy baby we are used to. 

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I think your struggles had to do with having a head cold and being in an unfamiliar place. And despite everything, you were still a relatively easy baby. You basically have us spoiled, so what may be considered a typical amount of fussing for a 6-month old by others has us frustrated and wondering what's wrong. 

Generally, you continue to be a very easy baby. Your daddy and I thought Norah was easy, and then you came along. Sometimes I refer to you as the "miracle child." With the exception of last week, you typically hang out happily cooing and smiling.  

You are super interactive these days, and love, love, LOVE to flash your beautiful smile. You make everyone feel like it is a super special smile just for them. We barely glance in your direction, and out it comes. Your daddy and I just can't get enough of it. 

When you fuss a teeny tiny bit, we know you are either hungry or tired. Otherwise you are very easy going and happy. Just plain happy.

Your bedtime is 6:30, and while you are a good sleeper you aren't very consistent. The week or so leading up to our trip you started getting up twice a night again, instead of just once. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have fed you the second time because it may have started a pattern. Between that and our trip, which threw you off even further, we have some sleep training ahead of us in the next few weeks. I am hopeful that your easygoing personality will transfer to this process, making it less painful than it might be otherwise. Time will tell. 

You are still nursing and continue to be a great eater. I don't seem to be responding as well to the pump as I do to you, so I am supplementing with 12 fenugreek a day to try to keep my production up. I have a freezer full of milk, but am barely breaking even in terms of what you drink at school (20 oz) and what I pump at work, before bed, and in the middle of the night (depending on when you get up). We will probably start trying solids soon into the new year. 

In terms of mobility you are rolling over both directions with ease and can sit up with a bit of help. You are getting closer and closer to sitting up on your own. You scoot around a bit to get a toy within reach, but you are not getting up on your knees yet. 

One thing I love to observe is the way you enjoy interacting with your sister, and vice versa. Just today Norah was running around our house singing "Ring around the Rosy" and falling down at the end in front of the exersaucer that you were in. You smiled every time she ran by you and giggled when she fell...over and over and over. You definitely know who she is and light up at the first sight of her. Norah loves to tell you good morning each day and is very helpful taking care of you. 

Your 6-month pediatrician appointment was uneventful. He is pleased at your progress and noted that you seem very content with life. The stats:

Weight: 15 lbs, 13 oz (47th percentile)
Height: 26 inches (60th percentile)
Head: 16 inches (26th percentile)

Macy Girl, you are my sweetheart. Your smile melts my heart and brightens my day. I love the way you snuggle into my face and neck. And I love kissing your irresistible cheeks. As I often tell you, "I could just eat you up, you're so sweet." (I have heard your sister tell you the same.) 

I look forward to all of the joy you will bring to our lives. 

Love, 
Mommy

P.S. If you could get this sleep thing figured out quickly, that would be great. 


No comments: