Norah is my 3 1/2 year old sweetie. We have to stay on our toes to keep her in check, but I consider our behavioral issues to be very normal for her age. Most of the time she is inquisitive, fun, and increasingly independent.
Yes, she pushes the boundaries, but as long as we don't let her get away with it we're good. My latest tactic when we are in the car and she can't "get it together" is to pull the car off the road, get out, and open her door to chat with her. For some reason she knows I am quite serious when I do this, and it works.
We definitely have more issues when she is tired. And she needs her sleep. When we have an off nap or night we have to work to get back on track as quickly as possible. If it continues a few days in a row we'll be in trouble.
Norah is such a sweet big sister. She loves to go into Macy's room every time with us to get her up, and Macy lights up at the sigh of her. Norah, Macy and I spend a lot of time reading books while I nurse, and when Macy finishes she loves to pop up and see what Norah is up to. Norah is happy to help with Macy - getting her toys, feeding her, etc. She really has not shown any signs of jealousy or resentment.
While she continues to be a bit of a mama's girl, she thoroughly enjoys her daddy. There are certain activities around the house that they generally do together. Norah loves to hide from daddy when he comes home from work and giggles and giggles when he finally finds her. She is completely happy with either of us putting her to bed (we continue to alternate). When I have to leave for an evening meeting or even a work trip she doesn't bat an eye.
Norah's sleep issues are nearly nonexistent. She generally goes down well both for naps and at night, and stays down. We get called in occasionally in the middle of the night, but it's doable. And much to our surprise she is started getting up every once in a while to go to the bathroom all by herself. One morning soon after 6AM I heard the toilet flush (I was only half asleep) and then Norah counting to 10 while washing her hands (something we taught her to try to get her to wash long enough).
One of the best ways to describe Norah's personality is through her comments. Though we get good ones nearly every day, I can only come up with two at the moment:
- Yesterday at the park Mimi noticed some ribbons around the trees, and Norah told her those are the ones they are going to cut down. Mimi said, "Wow that sure is a lot of trees," and Norah's response, while shaking her head was, "Yep...sure is somethin'."
- At lunch today Norah spilled some water on her shirt and decided that since the sun was out she should immediately undress and lay her clothes out in the sun to dry. As she was doing that she shrugged her shoulders and said, "It's not a big deal." This is something I have said to her many times in an effort to keep her from freaking out about spills.

No comments:
Post a Comment