With Macy, they knew I was pregnant before anyone (but Seth). I had taken a home pregnancy test, but hadn't even been to the doctor yet. I was determined to get her in, even if it meant having kids at different places. But even though I was looking for care for more than a year out we were once again put on a lengthy list.
Having totally dismissed the possibility I was very surprised to receive a the phone call. We toured again since it had been so long, and decided to make the change. The two main reasons were that it is close to home (only about a mile away) and we feel that the educational component is stronger.
We have always felt good about their current school in terms of meeting very basic needs: a lot of love (especially as babies) and a safe and clean environment. But as Norah got older we didn't feel awesome about the educational side of things. We definitely feel that is a strength of the new school.
And in terms of location, not only will it be great to eliminate the commute for them, but it will provide a lot more flexibility in terms of sharing drop off and pick up duties. Since they will now be located close to our house Seth can take them in or pick them up and still go into his office up North if he needs to. We haven't decided how to work it yet, but I hope to get into a regular schedule and share the duties much more going forward.
I was a bit nervous about the transition for Norah until we found out that Chloe (her best friend from school) and her younger sister who is Macy's age got a spot at the new school as well. We already know Chloe and Norah will be in the same class, though unfortunately the wee ones will be separated.
So my nervousness about the transition has shifted from Norah to Macy. Obviously I can't explain to Macy what is going to happen, and without her little friend in her class everything will be new. I have a feeling it is going to be a tough drop off the first day.
We have talked a lot with Norah about her feelings regarding the change, and one of the things she is sad about is leaving her teachers. One night when we were laying in bed she excitedly said, "Hey Mommy maybe Ms. Peaches and Ms. T can come to my new school too?!" I didn't want to get her hopes up at all, so I told her that they have to stay at her current school. She immediately started crying. I suggested that we make something special to give them on her last day and that seemed to do the trick.
Here is Norah with Ms. T. Unfortunately Ms. Peaches wasn't there yesterday so Norah didn't get to say good-bye.
This is Macy with Ms. Wanda, who got teary eyed when she was saying good-bye. She kept hugging Macy and told her she loved her several times. She commented that Macy is so affectionate, and told me to tell her new teachers that they better give her lots of love or she's going to come rescue her. Ms. Tanya is Macy's other teacher, but she was off yesterday so they said good-bye the day before. As I tell Seth, Macy "loves her some" Ms. Tanya. It makes me sort of sad that she doesn't really understand what is happening. These two teachers have been in the same classroom for several years, and Norah was in their room when she was Macy's age.
So Tuesday it is! It feels like a big transition for this family, but a welcome one.
No comments:
Post a Comment