Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mommy's Turn for a Milestone

It isn't ALL about the kids ALL the time.

Really, it's not.

This time it's about me. Yes, true, virtually every decision I make about me is linked to the kids in one way or another. It's just a matter of how many degrees of separation exist between any given decision and the kids. But I promise, the link is there.

But anyway...back to ME.

I'm making a job change. It's not what I thought my next move would be, but it makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons.  

Over the next 6 weeks I will be transitioning to a Digital Marketing Manager position at my current company. I will be responsible for planning, developing and executing our digital/online marketing strategy, including external website, internal intranet, search engine optimization (SEO) and social media initiatives from a marketing communications perspective (as opposed to the technical side).

So I mentioned that it makes a lot of sense for me. These are some of the reasons why:

- My current role is changing a bit, in a way that takes me closer to the business (business development) and farther from marketing communications. That's the opposite direction in which I would like to be going (read: I cannot get passionate about where Chevron is going to be drilling wells in 2015). 

- Building Digital Marketing expertise is an extremely good career move, and will increase my marketability in the future. The skills are transferrable to any industry and any type of organization. Since I don't currently have digital experience the only way to build these skills is by taking this type of position at my current company - no one else would hire me into this role.

- It is simply time for a change. I have been in the same basic function for 9 years at my current company. Yes, things have changed along the way to keep it challenging and provide variety, but I am ready for something different.

- This position will require less travel. In the past (before kids) I saw travel as a perk. I am fortunate to have been able to travel to parts of the world that I may never have seen otherwise. But with kids, my enjoyable trips have turned into insane 3-day trips to Milan, half of which is travel time. I vaguely remember catching a glimpse of the famous cathedral, Duomo, while I was in Milan for a total of 48 hours. 

- I get everything above while maintaining my 4-day a week schedule.

It is clearly the right move for me. 

ME.

And also the kids (here is where they come in). And Seth, too (see note above about less travel). I knew it was time for something new, but I hadn't yet reached the point where I was so ready for something new that I was willing to give up my schedule. I need those Fridays. WE need those Fridays. 

But I was feeling unsettled. And the longer that feeling continued, the worse it would have been for me...for the kids...for Seth. 

While I am not yet in the role, I have a very good idea of what it will be like. And I feel very sure that I will be happier. 

And you know how the saying goes: "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

No comments: