Saturday, September 8, 2012

Old Friends

It has been so fun to raise our kids with people with whom we were friends before even having kids. Lisa and Jeff are an example. I intend for this to be the first of a series that takes a moment to recognize and appreciate our friendships. As this blog turns into a book for our girls, I feel it is important to remember the origin of these friendships, and how they have grown stronger as we share the journey of raising kids together. 

Lisa and I met through the American Marketing Association (AMA). She was involved in membership activities for the group when I happened to join. We emailed prior to a particular event, and were perhaps a bit disruptive during the luncheon when we found it difficult to stop talking during the main presentation. 

We quickly decided we needed to get our hubbies together and we have been friends ever since. The four of us enjoyed many dinners together prior to kids being in the picture. We even participated in a dinner club for...well, I don't remember how long, but we made it to everyone's house at least once before it fizzled out for one reason or another. 

Imagine our surprise when Lisa and Jeff shared that they were pregnant at a breakfast at Mama's Cafe one morning. Seth and I knew I was also pregnant at the time, but it was earlier than we planned to share the news (our family didn't even know). I could hardly contain myself. I was bursting with excitement that our kids would be so close in age. 

Since that time Lisa and I in particular have shared experiences and knowledge at every phase along the way. While their experience with twins was different in many ways, we have still been able to relate on many levels and learn from each other. 

We have even managed a few mommy-only dinners and/or lunches - hours that I have truly cherished. 

Here are a few pictures that capture experiences since the fall of 2008 when our girls were born. We were all about the camera early on, but clearly have not documented every gathering along the way. 

November, 2008: Norah is ~3 weeks old; Sarah and Jessica are ~ 7 weeks old. 


April 2009: Norah is 6 months old; Sarah and Jessica are 7 months old. 

January 2010: Norah is 15 months old: Sarah and Jessica are 16 months old. 

September 2010: the girls are around 2 year old. 

May 2011: the girls are around 2 1/2 years old. 

Same day as above picture: the girls are joined by friend Nathan.

Just a month later: 

Much time has passed, with little use of the camera during our play dates. Last weekend we met at the zoo, once again. The girls are almost 4 years old. It is extremely rewarding to see how they interact in such a way that it is obvious that they have known each other their whole lives. 


We hope to have many, many more pictures like the one above of the girls on the train at the zoo. It is the last thing we do before hugging goodbye and promising to get together again soon. 

No comments: