Monday, December 17, 2012

Making Papa Proud

Mimi and Papa got into a conversation with Norah on Skype the other day about the idea of giving at Christmas in addition to receiving. It ended with the idea of Norah taking money from her piggy bank to buy presents for her cousins. She liked the idea, but also wanted to buy something for Macy...and herself. Fine. 

So we took $8 from her bank, put it in a purse, and took off to the store. On the way she asked, "But Mommy, will I get my money back?" I explained that she would give her money in exchange for whatever she was buying at the store. After 15-20 seconds of quiet she said, "Then I think I will use half, and put the other half back in my bank." 

While encouraging the idea I was frantically dialing Papa, who I knew would be so proud. 

Obviously it's not that she really gets the concept of saving - it was just about having the bills to fill her bank. But especially considering her Papa and the way he drilled into my sister and I the importance of saving, the comment was classic. 

Time will tell if this was our first hint about her future saving habits. 

No comments: