Sunday, March 24, 2013

Gwompa and Gwoma

I'm pretty sure there is a post with the same title from the fall (though I am not going to spend precious blog time trying to find it). As well as Norah annunciates most words, she has stuck with this for Grandpa and Grandma for a while. It's really cute, and we have no intentions of trying to correct her. In fact, sometimes we use the same pronunciation ourselves when referring to them. 

Before they came, I suggested to Norah that we make a countdown to their arrival. She got really into it and enjoyed crossing the numbers off each morning. It was always the first thing she wanted to do when she woke up (I went for the coffee and she went for the crayons). 


Gwompa and Gwoma came for about 5 days a few weeks ago. We had our typical beautiful March weather and they spent a lot of time outside with the kids in the back yard, walking, and at the park. I realized that when either of our parents make plans to visit I tend to start thinking about what Seth and I can get accomplished while they are here. Hopefully we didn't "drop our kids and run" too much (wouldn't want to discourage future visits)! The big project for me during this visit was painting our bedroom. It's been on the wish list for a while, so it is great to finally have it done. 

Not surprisingly, the other two primary activities during their visit were games (mostly UNO, but also a bit of Sorry and Memory) and reading. Grandma read to Norah every night before bed, and the first night after they left she wanted to Skype with Grandma so she could read to her again. 

Our only big outing was to Hermann Park. We packed some snacks and enjoyed walking around, taking pictures, and playing on two playgrounds. To be honest, I can't really think of any other major activities - I think the rest of the time was spent just hanging out. 















We decided to go ahead and purchase a queen bed for Macy's room. She's not out of her crib yet and we have no intentions of pushing that, but at least in the meantime we can provide a better option for grandparents. We put Macy in a pack 'n play in Norah's room, which went well for the most part. The only issue was Macy waking up early (6:15 - 6:30) and waking Norah up at the same time. 

The last night Ned and Ann were here was a bit different. I think Macy was teething because she woke up at one point and wouldn't go back to sleep. Here's how the night went, starting around 2am:

- Seth moved Norah to a bed on our floor, while I slept in Norah's bed next to Macy in the pack 'n play. 
- That didn't work, so I pulled Macy into bed with me. 
- By the time she finally settled down and went to sleep, Ned and Ann were gone (they left at 4am to catch their flight), so I moved into the spare bed in Macy's room. 

We have since been able to get back into a good routine, with the exception of a sleep over with the cousins - more to come on that at another time...

Thanks for visiting, Gwompa and Gwoma!

No comments: