About a month ago we started a routine with Norah of sharing three things from the day that made us happy. I can't say that we remember to do it every day, but my hope is that we at least do it most days. When Macy is a bit older I envision the four of us sitting around the table for dinner sharing our happy things from the day.
Norah's happy things often tend to mirror ours where it makes sense (she always wants us to go first), but she also comes up with others that I know are genuine. Some examples include:
- Swinging with Chloe
- Playing UNO with one of us before bed
- Playing with Macy after school
- The fact that today is Thursday, which means that tomorrow is Friday and she will get to be with Mommy and Macy all day.
- Coloring at school
I sometimes use it as an opportunity to ask her if there was anything that made her sad, but so far the answer has always been "no."
Obviously we want to maintain very open lines of communication with our girls over the years. My hope is that this will be one small way to encourage that.
No comments:
Post a Comment