With four weeks under our belt we are starting to sense a bit of normality in our routine. The ongoing struggle for balance between work and family, however, continues.
The big change for us with Norah's new school is based on our foray into the public school system. (Hello, PTA!) I think I have mentioned before that her elementary school has gone through some tough years recently. While our hope is that our kids can attend the neighborhood school (our zoned school) we definitely consider this a bit of a test and plan to apply for transfers to other schools for next year in case we feel like we need another option.
Some days I remind myself that one year can't possibly do a significant amount of damage. Other days I wonder if we have Norah in a "good enough" environment.
Along with pubic school has come "public" before and after school care in the form of the YMCA. They come to the school to provide this care for parents like us who work a "traditional" work day. I have heard positive things about this program both from parents who have used it for several years and also Norah's teacher. Now that the kinks have been worked out and we know the drill we feel pretty good about it.
One of the biggest challenges for me is that I feel a bit disconnected with her daily experience in the classroom. Seth drops her off with the Y and I pick her up with the Y, which leaves very little interaction with her teacher. People have reminded me that many schools don't even allow parents to drop off and pick up their kids at the classroom, but I still know that it could be possible for us. Other parents are doing it, yet we can't.
I get the feeling we are not the only ones struggling, wondering and questioning right now. Within the past two weeks several articles and blog entries have come my way that were really timely for me.
In one blog entry, the busy mother of 5 who was questioning her parenting skills repeated something that she recently heard another parent say: "If you are worried about being a bad parent, you are probably a good one."
Yep. I am going with that.
I also know I need to give it time. Monday is the start of week five, and overall I think the adjustment has gone really well. Norah has been FINE the entire time. She has never complained about going and is always upbeat when I pick her up. It took a bit for her to get comfortable with the drop-off situation so Seth continued to park and walk her in. But by week three she was ready to be dropped by the entrance, which means climbing out of the car by herself and meeting the Y person at the gate.
Last week some after school activities started, which will provide a good variety to her schedule. I think it will be good to break up her time a bit, particularly on Wednesday's which are early-release day. We signed her up for an arts class, dance (ballet, tap and jazz), and health and fitness, so three days a week (if it all works out) she will have something after school. I love that she is getting exposure to some new things, but we don't have to commit precious evening or weekend time to make it happen.
Norah's new best little bud at school is Caroline:
Caroline just happens to live only six (yes, just six) doors down. Her family is also part of our babysitting co-op, so it is nice to have connections from multiple angles. Caroline and Norah are constantly asking to play after school and on weekends, and they had their first sleepover at our place a few weeks ago.
At school they line up according to shirt color, so Norah and Caroline are starting to coordinate so they can stand next to each other. Even that wasn't enough the other day - Norah had to work hard to keep it together when Caroline walked in with pigtails and she had a headband.
When I was in their room for open-house last week I noticed their "About Me" project. Caroline's favorite activities are "Playing with Norah and dance class." Norah's favorite activities are "Playing with Caroline and dance class." Huh. Ironic.
The vibe at the school with the new principal is really positive, so I am optimistic for a good year. I may have underestimated the transition for Seth and me, but at least Norah seems to be handling it with ease.
Packing lunches? That's a whole different story--one for another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment