Thursday, October 24, 2013

Day-By-Day

We have started receiving invitations (or at least Save the Dates) for activities in December. What? How can people manage to think that far ahead? 

It's one day at a time in our household, with an occasional cursory glance two weeks out.

So, how are we doing on our crazy fall full of festivals, parties, and general holiday festive-ness? Time to check in. 

Solo weekend with the girls while Seth goes to Goshen? Check. Campus beautification work day at Norah's school? Check. 30-hour trip to Baton Rouge for a wedding? Check. Neighborhood fall festival? Check. Norah's birthday party? Check. Getting everyone over being sick? Ang, check. Macy, almost check. Seth, almost check. Norah, not yet. 

Okay, with several significant milestones passed I feel a bit better. 

Let's focus on this week for Norah: 

- She is supposed to wear something specific (and different) each day. I can't even remember the reason. Monday was a team shirt, which we missed (I am an advocate of no special requirements on Monday. Ever. Just getting into the swing of things for the week, man!) Tuesday was boots. Since all she had that fit were her rain boots, she wore them and packed tennis shoes just in case. As of Tuesday I had no idea what the next three days were, but was just hoping it would be stuff we had on hand because this is a big deal for a 5-year old. Luckily yesterday was sunglasses and today was crazy socks. (Oh, and I managed to find the paper with all of the details and it turns out this is all in recognition of Red Ribbon/Drug Free week. Good to know.)

- Dance on Wednesday - must remember to pack ballet shoes, tap shoes, leotard and tights.

- School pictures on Thursday - don't forget to brush her hair. 

- Character Day parade on Friday - kids need to dress like their favorite character in a book. Luckily since Norah is going to be Strawberry Shortcake for Halloween it was easy to convince her that Strawberry Shortcake IS her favorite book character. 

- By Wednesday - send in a contribution to a spa basket for the silent auction at the fall festival.

- On Friday - send her with a baked good item for the cake walk at the fall festival. For the love!

Additionally, Halloween costumes need to be ready by tonight for multiple events. We are borrowing both and neither was in hand until Tuesday. I managed to pick up tights that Norah needed over lunch on Monday.

Weekend activities include Macy's school fall festival on Friday, sitting kids in the babysitting co-op Friday evening, Norah's school fall festival on Saturday, and Zoo Boo on Sunday.

The minor relief I felt after thinking through what milestones we had passed is fading.

How do the next 3-4 weeks look?   

Two nights of trick or treating, my prep for a big meeting and a two-day work trip to San Antonio, plus play dates, moms night out, principals meeting, babysitting co-op meeting and four birthday parties in November. 

Um, I gotta go...

No comments: