Sunday, March 2, 2014

Definitely Two

Macy really is "something," as my mom would say. It doesn't say much yet somehow it says everything. 

She's two. That probably sums it up for a lot of parents of two year olds. She wants to be very independent and often has to put things back in place for a split second so she can get it herself. Or walk back to whatever she considered the starting point of any given moment so she can walk herself or carry something herself. 

When this stage started we heard "No, MY do it!" over and over and over. She has since corrected herself and uses "I." We also frequently hear, "No, no, no, no, no" when she wants something done differently. 

Macy has strong opinions. Period. On a lot of things. Sometimes she insists on her "sissy." Other times she most definitely does not want her "sissy." Sometimes she wants a pink bowl and other time it's blue. Both girls are somewhat obsessed with choosing their plates/bowls/cups. I've started using the same ones whenever possible so there is not a choice. One time when I used matching cups Norah announced that she wanted the one on my right hand. I didn't acknowledge the statement, but simply placed the cups in front of them. Macy had a fit. She said "I wanted the one in your right hand," over and over again as if she had a clue which one that actually was. 

She insisted on wearing a tutu around the clock for about two weeks. The nighttime hours were covered by a pair of pajamas that came with a red tutu. This tutu went over the top of any pajamas she wore--picture pink, fleece, footed, monkey pajamas…with a red tutu. 

One day she had on a self-chosen outfit that included loose fitting patterned pants, a tutu and  a clashing patterned shirt. When she held up two different socks for Seth to put on he suggested that they find a matching pair. I said, "Seth, really. Look at her. Do you think matching socks will be noticed?" He quickly realized it was far from important and put on the socks Macy chose. 

Luckily, the super sweet and cuddly side of Macy remains, scattered amongst the demanding, opinionated moments. She gives awesome hugs and tells us she loves us. One night when I was telling her good night she said, "I love you…a lot of times." This has become the new standard for the whole family. 

Another sign of a two year old, Macy suddenly became interested in the potty. She was with Mimi at swim lessons one Wednesday a few weeks ago and since they were early she didn't have on a swim diaper. Mimi explained that she should to tell her when she needed to go potty. A few minutes later Macy said she needed to and off they went. She was mildly interested in the potty until the following Wednesday when Mimi was with them out in public again. Macy had to go potty so Mimi took off her diaper but didn't have another one so Macy just wore her leggings. Since then, for the past two weeks she has primarily been in underwear (except at night) and is doing great. 

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time until we are out of this phase. Until then, I'll be sure and get my fill of those awesome hugs to make up for the typical two-year old bits. 



No comments: