I love that I got a text one random Tuesday morning from a woman who is in the moms group and the babysitting co-op, suggesting we surprise another friend who is also in both groups by gathering a few people for her birthday. So that evening at 8:30 six of us gathered at a neighbor's house across the street from the birthday girl, figured out an excuse to get her to come over, and surprised her. We sat outside, munched on crackers and cheese and coconut cream pie, and enjoyed some time together away from the daily grind.
I love that when picking Macy up from school there is a good chance I will run into multiple people that I will see later than night at a neighborhood meeting or event.
I love that last Friday when we pulled into our driveway Norah saw a bunch of kids on bikes at the end of the street by her friend Caroline's house. She asked if we could get on our bikes and head down, so we did. We hung out for about an hour and a half, at which point Norah came running up asking whether she could stay overnight at Caroline's. Her mom and I looked at each other and said, "Sure, why not?"
I love that I can go to the local Krogers, library, Walgreens, LA Fitness and any park or restaurant within 2 miles and the chances are very high that I will run into someone I know.
I love that six of the twelve families in our babysitting co-op have kids in the same class at Macy's school, and two other families also have kids at the school (but in different classes).
I love that when we go on bike rides Norah likes to ring her bell whenever she passes a friend's house, and that the result is a lot of bell ringing. Between both schools, the babysitting co-op, mom's group and Civic Club we know a lot of families scattered throughout the neighborhood.
I love that I can ride bikes with a friend down the street (Caroline's mom) to monthly mom's and babysitting co-op meetings.
I love that the husbands of the moms in the mom's group started a Dad's Beer Club. A few of them decided they were tired of attending family neighborhood events at which the moms all know each other and the dads barely know anyone.
I love that on Saturday morning we can go from a "campus beautification" day at Norah's school, just 3 blocks away, to a neighborhood Easter event at the park adjacent to the school and the school principal is at both events. At the school she was working hard hanging flags and at the Easter event she took a picture of some kids with the Easter Bunny and Tweeted it.
Today is Good Friday, which is a holiday for my company and Macy's school, but was a make-up day for Norah's school. I love that this resulted in riding bikes to school with Norah's friend, Caroline. The girls were thrilled.
Caroline's mom, her brother, Macy, and I hopped back on bikes to pick the girls up at the end of the day. They were smiling just as big when we rode home.
I. Love. Our. Neighborhood.

No comments:
Post a Comment