Since we live in Texas we decided to sign the girls up for Spring soccer while the weather is decent and save dance, gymnastics or music for the summer.
Norah played two seasons when she was 3 1/2 and 4 (but not since then), and this is Macy's first time. For whatever reason they are in the same division this season. The age spread should be interesting, but we are already enjoying the convenience of them being on the same team. Norah's friend Caroline is on the team as well.
They were more than ready and excited for their first practice.
With only one practice under our belts we expected the first game to be pretty interesting, but everyone caught on surprisingly well. Our team is a bit heavy with kids on the older end, which quickly proved to be helpful.
I told Norah ahead of time I expected her be able to get into the pack, get the ball, and try to score since she is one of the older ones. As for Macy, we basically just encouraged her to see how often she can touch the ball. They both did a good job.
In the end, both girls managed to score goals. Macy's celebration consisted of jumping up and down with her arms in the air and tongue sticking out (no photo, unfortunately).
Macy got bumped a few times which resulted in tears. I told her that was part of soccer and she quickly responded, "No it's not."
I believe the ball is actually in play in this picture. There are probably at least 20 parents standing on the sidelines yelling "go get the ball" (with a cup of coffee in their hands, of course).
I remember many times during practice in years past we had no option but to stop because of the distraction caused by a train passing by. This time it was in the middle of the game when one kid decided he had to run over to the fence to see it up close and personal. One by one the kids from both teams left the field and ran over.
The refs just sort of stood there and laughed. Not much you can do, I guess. Wait for the train to pass, then game on!
For almost a year we have been in a good rhythm with just swim on Wednesday nights. Adding soccer to the mix means we also have practice on Tuesdays and games on Saturdays. It's taking a bit to adjust and I anticipate two late nights in a row to result in at least one tired girl late in the week, but we'll figure it out.
Go Dallas!


No comments:
Post a Comment